Friday 15 June 2012

Final Posting...For Now

This is my final post for the course but I'm not sure if it will be the final post on this blog. I'm not an internety sort of girl and didn't really like the idea of setting up a blog and I have found the tone hard to adjust to the informal style of a blog but remembering it was being assessed. I have started to enjoy it though and might continue for my own pleasure.
This course has made me think of new things particularly the reception of classical architecture in stately homes. Being a member of the National Trust I often go to different places and I always love seeing examples of architecture but I never think too much about it. This course has really made me think and see my surroundings in a different light. While walking around in London I notice the columns and friezes on so many buildings, little urns, pinecone shapes (which I learnt was often attributed to Dionysos) nymph type statues. We can even see this type of architecture in Putney where the front of a club (of all places) shows many examples of the style.
I am disappointed I didn't get to see the temple at Mount Clare but I am planning to go exploring and see it for myself and I hope the university get's funding to restore it. I would also like the university to take more care of its 17th century and Neo-classical roots by having more information panels around the historical buildings otherwise when students ask and want to know they are told the wrong information. In my first year I was told the mausoleum held Froebel's body when instead it is the resting place of Mr and Mrs Lyne-Stephens and I was completely unaware of my university's history. Now while I'm sure some of my friends might find it boring there must be other students like me who would like to know a little more of the 'historical campus' the website talks so much about.

No comments:

Post a Comment